BA (Hons) Physical Education 2 Year Accelerated Programme
Single Honours (XC63)
This programme is subject to validation.
Year of Entry:
Duration:2 year full time. Part time available
The typical minimum entry requirements for applicants with A levels/AS levels/ BTEC is 300 points or BBB to include either Physical Education, or a science
- A commitment to learning in, through, and about Physical Education
- A commitment to the development of young people
- An awareness of teaching Physical Education in a school
- Experience of leadership activities (e.g Sport leader qualification, National governing body coaching awards or equivalent)
- Experience in a secondary education establishement/school other than one you were at school at
In addition to the specific course entry requirements, all applicants will need to meet the following general entry requirements:
* Because of the specific requirements for prior experience, candidates will often have gained this after leaving school. Those candidates intending to enter this course directly after their school studies will need to be able to demonstrate their adequate levels of experience.
* To be able to clearly and accurately communicate both spoken and written English
* Candidates must take part in an individual and/or a group interview with University College tutors
In addition to the general entry requirements, you must have grade C or above in English Language and Mathematics and science GCSE examinations or equivalent qualifications. Please note that Level 2 Key Skills in Application of Numbers and Communication or Certificates in Adult Literacy or Numeracy, are not sufficient to meet the entry requirements to this programme as it would not be accepted onto PGCE or GTP which is the progression route.
You will be required to:
* Provide a satisfactory CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) Enhanced Disclosure, related to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and the Joint Circular ‘Protection of Children’
* Register with the ISA (Independent Safeguarding Authority
* Meet the Secretary of State’s requirements for physical and mental fitness to teach as detailed in ‘Fit to Teach’ by completing an on-line medical questionnaire
The 2 year accelerated Secondary Physical Education degree programme is designed to integrate subject knowledge (including sports science), professional attributes and teaching and coaching skills. The programme is challenging and intensive whilst being immensely enjoyable and we build a strong culture of support within the group and work on the ethos of collaborative learning.
The programme is progressive in nature, developing awareness of professional attributes, knowledge and skills linking theory to practice; it enables students to apply educational theory to practice and develops reflective practice. The programme creatively contextualises key areas of subject knowledge within formal education curriculum. A variety of activities, both traditional and alternative in nature are utilised to support this development. In the final phase of the degree students look at the state of current and future directions of the teaching profession, they spend time in partnership schools undergoing extended placement. Whilst on school placement and during an honours project student will be involved in the design of a personalised programme to ensure their educational needs are met.
Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)
Students successfully completing this degree will be well placed to apply to undertake a 1 year PGCE programme to achieve qualified teacher status (QTS), which is required to become a classroom teacher. Therefore, this programme offers an alternative 3 year route (2+1) to becoming a qualified classroom PE teacher to that of the BEd programme. Although you will be well placed to apply for a PGCE programme, this degree can not guarantee entry onto a PGCE programme.
This programme is currently under development and details will be available on this web page over the summer. This programme is closely aligned to the 3 year BEd programme and therefore will have similar content.
Fees and Funding:
The anticipated fee for 2012 entry will be £8,700 per annum. Please see our fees and funding pages for details on funding arrangements.
Back to Courses