The Inspiring Students and Teachers Awards ceremony took place at the University of St Mark & St John on Wednesday 13 May.
Awards were presented to those who made a positive impact at the University and within the local community.
Vice-Chancellor Professor Cara Aitchison introduced the awards. She said: “One of the wonderful things about education is the opportunities it opens up; not always simply through academic knowledge and professional skills but through the friendships and networks that are made, the confidence that is built, and the self-belief that you can make a difference in the world.
“Many of these achievements have been made through great personal endeavour, sacrifice, commitment, determination and sheer hard work.”
Faye Hatherley-Edwin is the Employability Co-ordinator at the University who organised the event. She said:
“It was a wonderful evening which celebrated the achievements of students who go the extra mile. Each year we are reminded of the amazing commitments our student make to the University and our local community and it’s inspiring to see students achieve great things with their lives alongside studying for their degrees.
“The winners and nominees all share the qualities that bring our University values to life: dedication, commitment, leadership, enthusiasm, innovation, inclusion and supporting each other to do well.”
The Student Led Teacher Awards were also presented on the night. Marjon Student Union President, Dan Whitby, said:
“All University staff do an amazing job to challenge and inspire a future generation and it has been made clear tonight that all award winners and nominees have made a real difference to students’ lives.”
Inspiring Student Award Winners
- Volunteer of the Year - James Harding
- Outstanding Contribution Award – Alex Christmas
- Leadership Award – Jack Whitfield
- Sports Volunteer of the Year – Alice Cook
- Enterprise Award – Harry Solomon
- Student Union Volunteer of the Year - Jessica Rhodes
- Grace Adamson Outstanding Student Ambassador Award – Emma Ruskin
Student Led Teaching Awards Winners
- Outstanding Dissertation Supervisor Award - Colin Dawson
- Heart of the University Award - Kathryn Kearney and Tracey Loran
- Innovation Award - Kass Gibson
- ACAREdemic Award - Jackie Arthur
- Inspiration Award - Stu Taylor
- Lecturer of the Year - Hannah Wood
Back to Marjon News