Registering with a Doctor

Registering with a Doctor or Dentist


If you are staying in the UK for more than six months you are entitled to free consultations with the doctor and should therefore register with a doctor as soon as possible. 

Once you have registered it will be very easy to make an appointment to see the doctor, or GP (General Practitioner) as they are often called.

It is therefore much better to register before you become unwell!

Prescribed medicine: if you currently receiving any prescribed medicine (e.g. for any short-term or long-term illness such as epilepsy, migraine, diabetes etc)., then you need to ensure that your doctor gives you the full medical name rather than the brand name of whatever medicine it is that you are taking. It is very likely that the brand name will not available here and that a doctor may not even know what it is.

If you buy prescription medicine regularly then it would be useful for you to find out about the NHS Prescription Pre-Payment Certificate as it could save you a lot of money over the year.

To register you should call the surgery and ask if they will take you on as a new patient.  You will then have to go to the surgery and fill out a form (take your passport with you and make sure you know your full address and telephone number in Plymouth ).  The surgery will usually make an appointment for you to see the nurse for a check-up – this is a routine procedure for new patients.

If you are living in a homestay you will be able to register with your host’s doctor.  Your host will be happy to help you with this.  If you are living on campus you can register with Elm Surgery which is conveniently located next to ASDA Supermarket:

Elm Surgery                                               

123 Leypark Walk


Plymouth  PL6 8UF

Telephone (01752) 776772


If you are in pain you can contact the emergency dentist by calling 08451 558070.  If it is not an emergency then you will need to contact a local dentist.

It is possible to register with a local dentist as a national health (NHS) patient or a private patient.  NHS patients receive treatment at a lower cost.  Many dentists are very busy and do not have any spaces available for new NHS patients so it is worth calling as many dentists as possible to try and find one where you can register as an NHS patient. 

A list of local dentists can be found on the NHS Direct website.

You can also write to the following address to request information about local NHS dentists:

Plymouth PCT, FREEPOST NAT 22278, Plymouth, PL6 5ZQ (this is a free service so you do not need to put a stamp on the letter)

You will need to give them your name, address, telephone number and date of birth.

If you need any help with this please ask the Welfare Co-ordinator