Skip to main content Accessibility information

Care leavers and estranged students FAQ

Accommodation FAQs


What is available?

We have 456 bed spaces on campus.

  • All single occupancy rooms
  • Small village
  • Standard village
  • En-suite wheelchair access village
  • Standard halls
  • En-suite halls 

Can I stay over the holidays?

Yes! You are entitled to stay on campus for 365 days of the year should you wish.

What will I need to bring?

The university provides:

  • A single bed (3’), mattress, mattress cover, bedside cabinet, wardrobe, desk, office chair, noticeboard, waste bin and blackout blind.
  • Some rooms also contain a chest of drawers and/or an easy chair.
  • The shared kitchens are kitted out with a kettle, fridges, freezers (or fridge/freezer), a microwave, a cooker and a toaster.
  • An ironing board (students are asked to supply their own iron

    You will need to bring:

  • Bedding (bed sheets, pillowcases, pillows, a duvet, blankets for extra warmth and your own towels)
  • Kitchen Equipment (plates, cutlery, pans etc.)
  • Some cupboard food and fridge food (this is useful to bring on move in day so that you don’t get left with the smallest space in the cupboard and fridge/freezer)

For more information see our accommodation and before you arrive sections.

Support FAQs


What support is available?

  • Wellbeing and ongoing support with your named adviser
  • Funding /Care Leaver bursary of £2,000 for eligible students
  • Academic advice
  • Study skills sessions

Who do I contact with initial enquiries?

Contact one of our advisers:

Who will know that I am a care leaver?

Only those with specific access to this information will know whether you are a care leaver (unless you tell them, of course). This is so that support and mentoring can be allocated as it should be – don’t worry your information is confidential and monitored under our data protection policy.