Moving Into Halls

Before you arrive, you’ll have some organisation to get to! We’ve put together this page to help you tick off the things you need, and reassure you about the things you don’t.


Arriving at the University

Make an entrance!

We’re looking forward to welcoming you! On moving-in day on Sunday 15 September 2019, there will be plenty of University staff members on hand to issue you with keys, cards etc. and answer your questions. If you’re moving into halls, please park up (all car parks are open and completely free in move-in day) and report to the Information Hub. We’ll give you keys and directions, then you can drive round and check out your new home. When you’ve unloaded (please do this as quickly as possible - as you’ll imagine, the campus will be pretty busy!), move your car back to the car park. Once you’ve unpacked, you’ll be invited to attend a residents’ meeting (friends and relatives are politely asked to leave at this point) then head to the student union to enjoy the welcome event. Before you arrive, make sure you’ve sent the signed terms and conditions, payment plan and a £250.00 deposit to the University. If you’re a homestay student, your homestay family will come to the University to pick you up. 

For returning, top-up and PGCE sudents you may be required to arrive earlier.  You can arrive the Sunday prior to the start date of your accommodation contract.  Keys will be available but please still attend the residents meeting on Sunday 15 September 2019.


What do I bring?

What you need, what you don't

In terms of clothing, dress code at the University isn’t formal but you’ll need some smart outfits for placements, interviews and other formal events. You may have heard the weather in Plymouth can be pretty inclement, so come prepared. For your room, you’ll need bed sheets, pillowcases, pillows, a duvet, blankets for extra warmth and your own towels (though international short stay students will be provided with towels and linen). You don’t need to provide a mattress protector - that’ll already be there. Other useful items to bring might include:

  • Hot water bottle
  • Laundry bag
  • Coat hangers
  • Alarm clock
  • Extension leads
  • TV - you’ll need a TV licence
  • Music system
  • Laptop
  • Toothbrush, toothpaste and other toiletries
  • Washbag
  • Hairbrush
  • Hairdryer/straighteners


Kitchen Equipment

Extras you'll need

We’ll provide all the main fixings such as a fridge/freezer, oven and microwave, but you’ll need a few extras. Bring the crockery and cutlery you think you’ll need, knives and chopping boards, peeler and grater, pans (including frying pan), cooking utensils such as wooden spoons and spatulas, masher, tin opener, bottle opener, tupper ware containers, name tags, cleaning materials (you and your hall mates will be responsible for keeping the kitchen in good, clean order) and tea towels. If you’re an international short stay student, you’ll be provided with a kitchen pack.

Just in case

Bonus items

It’s always best to be well prepared, so if you want all the mod cons, consider bringing your own first aid kit, washing powder, a memory stick, mementos from home, fairy lights to decorate your room, chargers, passport photos, passport/driving licence, A4 lined paper, folders, stationery, diary, National Insurance number, CV and references, fancy dress outfit (you never know!) and financial details such as your bank account number and sort code. 

Sooner rather than later

Registering with a Doctor

The University has a strong relationship with Elm Surgery, and you can start the registration process on their website. It’s always best to be registered already, rather than waiting until you need a doctor. If you’re an international student staying with a homestay family, talk to them about their local GP: they should normally be able to see you if you need medical help during your stay. If you’re feeling unwell and you’re worried, it’s always best to contact the Accommodation Manager. If you have an existing medical condition, we’ll get the necessary information during the accommodation application process and advise you accordingly. 

Accommodation Moving Into Halls

TV License

Keeping It Legal

When you’re living in halls, you must have your own TV licence if you’re watching programmes as they’re shown on television, whether that’s on your own TV or on a laptop. You’re not covered by your parents’ licence, or a communal licence. There are no aerials in halls so remember to bring your own indoor aerial, preferably with a booster. The current licensing fee is £150.50 per year for a colour TV. The TV licensing people are pretty hot on non-payers, and you could face a £1,000 fine if you neglect to get it sorted.

Plugging In

Electrical Equipment

We’ll provide your microwave, fridge/freezer, oven, kettle and toaster in the kitchen. If you want, you can bring blenders, rice cookers or any other electrical equipment. Each kitchen has its own ironing board, but you’ll need to bring your own iron. All appliances run on a 220-240v system. Appliances which run on another voltage must be used with a transformer. Our plug are three-pin style, search ‘power plug type G’ on Google to see an image. We don’t test electrical equipment, but if we think something’s unsafe, we reserve the right to remove it. If you’re living with a homestay family, always ask about using any appliances you’ve brought from home, as incorrect use can be a fire hazard.

The big day!

Moving-in day

On moving-in day staff will be on hand to issue resident students with library card, Dining-In-Scheme (DIScount) card, and keys to campus accommodation.

If you have been allocated campus accommodation please report to the Information Hub.

  1. Please park in one car park 3 - they are all open and free of charge on moving in day.
  2. Student to report to the Information Hub - Student Ambassdaors will be on hand to direct you
  3. Register - there is a registration desk in the Information Hub, you will be registered and given your Library card
  4. Collect keys - you will be asked to show your Library card as identification and will be given your keys and DIS card, where applicable
  5. Make your way back to Car Park 3 and then drive around the campus to your dedicated Hall and unload
  6. Once unloaded remove your vehicle to any of our car parks
  7. Attend Residents ONLY meeting (this is where parents/partners/family and friends are politely required to leave)
  8. Enjoy the Marjon Student Union social event for residents

Please make sure you have returned the terms & conditions, payment plan and £250 deposit to the Accommodation Administrator prior to your arrival.

Alternatively, if you have been allocated Homestay accommodation, arrangements will be made for your family to collect you from the Information Hub and details emailed to you.