Skip to main content Accessibility information

Overseas exchange

The Overseas Exchange Programme enables students from Plymouth Marjon University to spend one semester at one of our partner institutions overseas (non-EU). The programme also enables undergraduate students from our partner universities overseas who wish to spend one semester or full academic year studying in the UK, earning credits to transfer back to their home university.

Modules are available across most disciplines and are part of the regular undergraduate curriculum, enabling exchange students to study alongside UK-based home students.

Tuition Fees
Exchange students are exempt from paying any tuition fees to the partner university.

Participating Universities Overseas

  • Bloomsburg University, Pennsylvania, USA Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania is a public institution that was founded in 1839. This four-year public university is centrally located in the thriving town of Bloomsburg, providing its students a multitude of social and academic opportunities. A member of Pennsylvania's State System of Higher Education, Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania offers more than 60 undergraduate majors, almost 40 undergraduate minors, more than 15 graduate programs. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 9,256, its setting is rural, and the campus size is 282 acres. It utilizes a semester-based academic calendar. The campus of Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania is located along the Susquehanna River, about 150 miles from both Philadelphia and New York.
  • Lock Haven University, Pennsylvania, USA Lock Haven University of Pennsylvania is a public institution that was founded in 1870. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 5,029, its setting is rural, and the campus size is 175 acres. It utilizes a semester-based academic calendar.The university offers the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in liberal arts fields; the Bachelor of Fine Arts in Music; the Bachelor of Science in Education; the Bachelor of Science in Health and Physical Education; the Bachelor of Science in Recreation Management and the Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences. At the graduate level, the university offers the Master of Education in Teaching and Learning, Master of Education in Alternative Education, Master of Education in Educational Leadership, the Master of Health Science, Physician Assistant, Master of Science in Sport Science, and the Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling.

Outgoing Students

‌A year or semester abroad is one of the best opportunities that is available to you during your studies, it is an experience that will stay with you throughout your life. You will only pay tuition fees to Plymouth Marjon University and not to the overseas University.

Application Process for Outgoing Students

Step 1 - Declare your interest
The first point of contact is your Programme Leader. Consider the list of partner universities overseas we have exchange agreements and research each of them, in order to decide which one you wish to study at. You will need to look at the modules which are available to you, and discuss these with your Programme Leader, to ensure that they meet the requirements of your degree programme, in order that you can transfer your attained credits back to the University. You can then come to the Internaitonal Office and start the application process.

Step 2 - Complete Request to Study Abroad form. The Request to Study Abroad form needs to be signed by your Programme Leader, Registry Services and by the International Office.

Step 3 - Complete application forms for the host institution

Please note that participants on any study abroad programme should expect to pay for services which they would normally expect to pay for at Marjon e.g. housing, travel, subsistence fees etc. You will be also required to purchase a visa or other additional charges related to your mobility such as airline tickets and insurance.

Student Finance
If you study abroad you are still entitled to apply to Student Finance England/Scotland/Wales for your student loan.  For students entitled to a tuition fee discount you will find that the tution fee element of your loan is reduced accordingly.

A travel grant is available from Student Finance England to students studying abroad as part of their course.  To qualify you should be receiving student finance that depends on your household income, e.g. Maintenance Loan or Maintenance Grant.  You must also be studying abroad for at least 50% of an academic term. For more information see the Student Finance England Travel Grant factsheet.