Skip to main content Accessibility information


What accommodation is available?

We have seven halls of residence and 38 village houses on our campus plus The Oaks.

In total, there are 459 rooms.

When do I apply?

If you are holding afirm offer you can apply from 1 January 2019.

Applications are available on our website.

Is accommodation guaranteed?

We’ll arrange accommodation for first years on a first-to-go-unconditional, first-served basis. Providing you meet all the requirements, you should be in, though you may not always get your first choice.

If we are unable to offer you campus you will  be offered approved accommodation off site. Your course, hobbies and interests will be taken into account on allocation.

What are the costs?

En-suite single room in halls/village: £110-£115 per week; standard single room in halls/village: £95-£100 per week; small single in village house: £90-£95 per week. 

These costs include water, gas, electric, contents insurance, internet access with computing support and pastoral support.

Do I need to pay a deposit?

Yes. You’ll need to pay £250.00 to secure your room within 14 working days of your accommodation offer being made.

What is the DIScount card?

In short, it’s a way to buy meals on campus the simple way. The DIScount is a compulsory part of living in halls (a preloaded £820 per year will be added for your arrival as part of your payment plan) but is optional in the village.

You’ll enjoy a 10% discount in the Servery with your card.

*subject to changes

How long is the contract?

It’s 42 weeks including Christmas and Easter holidays. You’ll be on a fixed-term contract and cancellations can only be made in extenuating circumstances, or if you can find a suitable replacement to take on your tenancy.

You can stay during the holidays if you wish, but if you go away for a short period for whatever reason, you still have to pay for your accommodation.


Can I stay during the summer?

You can apply, but you may have to move for the duration of the holiday.

Accommodation will be subject to availability.

Do you have rooms for students with mobility impairments?

We have two purpose-built en suite rooms on the ground floor of Dix halls, plus two more in houses 22 and 23.

If you want to apply for these rooms, please let us know.

Is there out of hours support?

Yes, we have a dedicated support team, plus our security assistants are available out of hours.

Where do I live in year two?

You can still apply for campusaccommodation, but if unsuccessful we will offer you a room in approved accommodation off site.

You can also choose your own accommodation in the private sector.

How much does private accommodation cost?

Plymouth is pretty competitive and there’s plenty of accommodation on offer.

You’ll be looking at approximately £75 to £145 per week, depenidng on what is included in the rent and what the room is like.

Can I bring my car?

We don’t allow students to bring cars on campus, except in special circumstances. You’ll find the bus service in Plymouth is very reliable and cheap.

We have student bus passes at £6 per week which you can buy from the Welcome Desk.

Who do I contact if I need help?

Just call at the Information Hub who will signpost you in the right direction.

Any changes are advertised on The Hub on the University intranet.

What happens if I can't pay?

We’d rather you told us if you’re having financial difficulties.

If you don’t pay your rent, you’re at risk of being evicted so keep those lines of communication open so we can help you, to avoid you getting into deeper financial trouble.

What do I do if i break or lose something?

Accidents happen so again, just talk to us and we’ll see what we can work out. If you lose your keys, let reception know and we’ll organise replacements.

There’ll be a £70 deduction from your deposit if you can’t return all your keys, as we’ll need to change the locks for security.

How do I get my deposit back?

You’ll be checked out of your room with a full inspection.

Providing the room’s in the condition you found it, you’ll get your deposit back within 28 working days.

What fire safety systems are in place?

The fire safety systems in both the student village and the halls of residence have recently been upgraded to comply with current legislation (BS5839-1:2017 L2/ M). They have L2 fire alarm systems, designed to give an early warning of fire to occupants beyond the room in which the fire starts and to provide early detection in areas of high risk, such as kitchens.

In addition, all village and hall alarm panels are radio linked to Campus Support/Security personnel who receive instant notification of an alarm.

When is the fire alarm tested?

Alarm tests in the village and halls are carried out weekly and logged by Marjon staff; these occur in the halls of residence on Wednesdays between 13:00 and 15:00 and in the student village on Thursdays between 13:00 and 15:00. Alarm tests will last no longer than two minutes.

If an alarm in the village or the halls of residence sounds outside published testing periods or for longer than two minutes, evacuate the building by the nearest safe exit and proceed to the signposted muster point. Do not stop to gather belongings. If you are aware that people are still in the building report this to the attending Marjon staff.

NEVER assume that a fire alarm is a test or a false alarm. If in any doubt, evacuate the building.