Coronavirus updates

This page has been set up to provide information for anyone at the University with questions or concerns about coronavirus (Covid-19). It will be updated on a regular basis.

Last update 31 March 4.30pm

Key links:

The questions below are recently agreed or recently asked:

How will end of year assessments work?

In the present exceptional circumstances, and in addition to the assessment initiatives implemented by programme teams already, the university is introducing an Assessment ‘Safety-Net’ Policy. This means that as long as your remaining assessments are completed appropriately, your final mark for the academic year can only go up, not down. Please go to our assessments page for the full safety net statement.

Can I get a refund on my car parking?

We have agreed that students who have paid for parking in advance will receive a refund on their car parking for the third term. This will be processed through Finance and may take a little while so please bear with us.

Do I need to pay my tuition fees?

Tuition fees still need to be paid. Student Loans company are still paying loans to students, and our staff are still working (and still need paying). Your teaching, assessment and end of year results are continuing, and we are continuing to work with students, just from different locations. Your tuition fees pay for the running of the whole university and whilst we appreciate that from home it’s harder to see or feel what’s happening, the whole university is still working incredibly hard over this period to ensure your studies can continue.

What will happen to my Dining in Card?

For first and second years, money left on Dining in Cards will be carried over so you can spend it next year. For first years who would have had been about to pay the final instalment of their dining in card, you won’t be charged this, just as you won’t be charged rent. For those in their final year who have money remaining, we will refund this as we appreciate you have no chance to spend it now.

The Prime Minister’s statement of 23 March changes previously issued advice. Please familiarise yourself with this. The changes are detailed below.

  • Non-essential travel is not allowed. This means you must not return to campus to pick up your things. Almost everyone should have travelled home by now. If you have not, we do not yet know if travelling home counts as essential travel.
  • The Library is now closed, including the ground floor. You can find out more information on this here.
  • We know that some people need to remain living on campus.

What is the latest government advice?

Stay at home, protect the NHS, save lives.

All the information can be found from this page: This page updates frequently and so information is not pasted below.

How can I get wellbeing support?

We recognise this is not easy for Marjon students and staff. We pride ourselves that our learning environment is full of conversation and genuine relationships. Changing the way we deliver our learning is not easy. We commit to maintaining that one-to-one relationship, to staying in touch and to giving you a personalised experience.

Professional services staff, including Student Support, will be working remotely but will still be able to support students. One-to-one sessions will take place online.

Public Health England has released new advice about looking after your mental health during this period.

Student Minds has created a support page and their student bloggers are sharing advice on the Student Minds blog. Check out:

You can always reach out to Student Support, they are running wellbeing sessions; email them on If you're worried about a friend then let them know.

Michelle and Claire are also available to talk with you, please contact or, and you can also join your Cyber Chaplains live on Facebook every morning for a little boost to start your day.

There are some other external links here which you may find helpful too:
Stress Busting


Events up to July are being cancelled or moved to later in the year.