Skip to main content Accessibility information

Medical care

Medical care

If you are on a course lasting six months or more you can get treatment from the National Health Service (NHS) from the beginning of your stay. It is a good idea to register with a doctor during your first week in the UK. You will not have to pay for hospital treatment, but you may have to pay for some dental treatment and a standard charge for medicines prescribed by a doctor, depending on your income. This also applies to your spouse and children (children under 16, or under 19 and in full time education do not normally have to pay for any treatments).

EEA nationals studying for less than six months should complete form E128 in their country of residence. This gives full NHS treatment even if the student is in the UK for less than six months.

EU countries: Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania,  Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom.

EEA countries: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, Gibraltar.

Please note that since 6th April 2015 some new medical fees are in place for those visiting the UK, for up to date information please click HERE 

Prescribed medicine

If you currently receiving any prescribed medicine (e.g. for any short-term or long-term illness such as epilepsy, migraine, diabetes etc)., then you need to ensure that your doctor gives you the full medical name rather than the brand name of whatever medicine it is that you are taking. It is very likely that the brand name will not available here and that a doctor may not even know what it is.

If you buy prescription medicine regularly then it would be worth finding out about the NHS Prescription Pre-Payment Certificate which could save you a lot of money over the year.

Dental Care

It is not always easy to find a dentist that offers treatment on the National Health Service services in the UK.  Routine dental work may therefore have to be done by a private dentist, which can be expensive.  If you have a good dentist at home, and if you know that you will be needing some dental work done in the near future, then it is advisable to try to arrange to have this done before you come to Plymouth.  There is an emergency dental service here that will treat emergencies only.

Disability Advice Support Service

Our Student Support team offer a Disability Advice Support Service to support the needs of disabled students. To let us know specific requirements or if you have any queries in regards to disabilities then you should contact