International students arrival guide

2017 How-to-Get-to-Plymouth

Travel guide

How to get to Plymouth

Plymouth Marjon University is located in Derriford, just a few miles north of Plymouth in beautiful South West England. Plymouth is accessed via the A38 Devon Expressway which links to the motorway network at Exeter (M5).

From the M5, you can join the M4 to London (approx 4 hours drive) and South Wales, or the M6 to the Midlands and the North. Our nearest airport is at Exeter and there is a good coach link between our two cities.

Frequent rail services link Plymouth and London Paddington, including high-speed services (just over three hours) and an overnight service. To travel to London Waterloo, change at Exeter St David's.

How to get to Plymouth


Student visas

You need to secure the correct visa for your studies before you leave for the UK. Our tip is to keep your immigration documents and the paperwork from the University with you in your hand luggage as you will need to produce this to the Immigration Officer when you enter the UK.



Course fees

Our programme fees for International students in 2017-18 are:

  • Undergraduate programmes - £11,000
  • BSc Speech and Language Therapy - £11,750
  • PGCE programmes - £11,000
  • Masters degree (full-time) - £11,500
  • MPhil/PhD - £4106 full-time or £2050 part-time

Various options for payment of course fees are available.



Health services

Doctors, dentists and hospitals

All students are advised to register with local health services such as doctors and dentists. In case of emergencies we are located next to Derriford Hospital. We also to refer you to our medical care information for International students.

You may have been told that you will need a medical examination when you arrive at the airport in the UK. If you can get a medical certificate and a chest X-ray from your doctor before you leave home, then the medical examination may not be necessary. Carry your medical certificates and X-rays in your hand luggage rather than in your suitcase.



The cost of living

For the latest available information about student living expenses in the UK visit the Education UK website, please use this info for guidance only as costs can vary according to the choices you make. The online International Student Calculator will also help you to plan and manage your money while you are in the UK.

2017 Insurance

Get covered


You can ensure your needs are met whilst studying in the UK with medical, contents and/or travel insurance.


Help is on hand

Emergency phone numbers

In an emergency 

Dial 0 to call University Reception from a University phone, if no reply dial 2222 from an on-campus phone or extension 2222 from outside). Dial 01752 636700 from outside the college.

Dial 999 for the emergency services

If you have called the Emergency Services and you are on-campus must let the University Reception know so that they can direct them to you when they arrive. You can make a free call on a pay phone or a mobile phone call the police, ambulance or fire brigade.

Out of hours help 

If you need to access medical help call:

  • Devon-Doc on 01392-824600 or 0845 6710270
  • NHS Direct on 0845 4647 or
  • If you cannot find anyone to help you can call Derriford hospital on 01752 202082 or 0845 1558155

During office hours:  Monday-Friday 8am - 5pm

If you are feeling unwell and need help please come to the Student Support Office. If you are staying in a homestay you should tell your host you feel unwell and you will be able to see their local doctor. If you are staying in the UK for more than 6 months then you should register with a local doctor.

2017 Police-registration


Police registration

If you are going to be staying in Britain for more than six months you may find that your passport has been stamped by with 'Register with UK Police on arrival' or 'Register with the Police within seven days'. During your stay in Britain you must let the police know if you change your address or if you extend your visa.

To register with the police you need to go to the police station (although Crownhill police station is closer to the University College, Charles Cross is a bigger police station with more staff so you may be seen more quickly).  It takes about 20 minutes to register. The police will ask for your passport, two passport photos and a payment of £34 (in cash).

The police will keep your passport for about three weeks. It is therefore a good idea not to register with the police until AFTER you have opened a bank account or done anything else that requires you to show your passport. After about three weeks you will be able to go and collect it.


Money transfer

If you don't have a bank account, it is possible to transfer money from your home country using either Western Union (there is an agent in Plymouth at the First Choice Travel Agents) or MoneyGram which is available at Post Offices throughout the UK.

Keep in touch

Phone calls

If you have a mobile phone which works in the UK you will be able to make and receive phone calls easily, though this can be very expensive. We recommend you buy a UK SIM card and top it up with credit as needed.


Getting around

Buses in Plymouth

It is a 25 minute bus ride from to Plymouth city centre and 35 minutes to Tavistock. From the city centre you can pick up intercity bus services which connect to cities across the UK. Links to detailed timetables are available via our Buses in Plymouth page.



International food

There are a number of local supermarkets, the closest is Marks & Spencers (PL6 5US) though you'll generally find lower prices at Asada (PL6 8TB) and Tesco (PL6 7RF). There are also a number of Food Shops in Plymouth selling goods from around the world, these include:

2017 ATM


Bank accounts

If you are going to be in the UK for more than six months it may be useful to open a bank account here, all the major UK banks have branches in Plymouth City Centre.

Opening a bank account

More info

International Student Handbook

Download the International Student Handbook for more information about life as a student at Marjon.