Skip to main content Accessibility information

Mature students FAQs

Gerri, a mature third year student at Marjon, helped us put together these Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs). 

If you have any questions, you can chat to Gerri and Mature Students' Officer for 2022-23, Hayley, at the bottom of the page.

1. Will I be the only older student around campus?

No, there are many mature students studying with us at Marjon.

30% of our students are mature to be exact!

2. What support is in place for mature students at Marjon?

There is a large variety of support available for all students here at Marjon:

Academic support – There are study skills sessions for all types of learners throughout the year, which can help with essay structure, referencing and how to research effectively, for example. You can also get advice on changing modules or programmes, mode of study (full-time/part-time), and work extensions.

Pastoral support – Resident Life Coordinators (RLCs) are your direct liaison with support staff at Marjon and are on hand to assist with all aspects of student welfare. Their responsibilities include; out of hours support, working with student support on wellbeing issues, maintaining good resident conduct, organising events to enhance the student experience and raise awareness of issues that affect students. As well as working alongside student support, RLC’s also work closely with the Chaplaincy and Students’ Union.

Childcare – Marjon recognises that many students will be combining their studies with caring for children. Flying Start Nursery is located within the Marjon grounds in a purpose-designed building. Students may also wish to consider other options in the area and a full range of child care facilities advice is available through the Plymouth City Council and the websites.


Disability support- The University aims to be fully inclusive. The Disability and Inclusion Advice Service (DIAS) advises studying on study adjustments and other forms of support if they have any type of disability, health condition (including mental health illnesses) or specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia. 

Careers support – Marjon Futures is here to make sure that your university experience is just the beginning of a life of opportunity. They offer students enriching career, travels, volunteer, enterprise and professional development opportunities. They can help boost your CV, practice for an interview and offer unlimited support once your graduate too.

IT support – From navigating the Marjon app, Learning Space, and how to submit your assignments, there are sessions to help you with using the IT here, both in group environments or one-on-ones to learn at your own pace. There is also a 24-hour IT room which is available to all students throughout the year.

Funding advice – Money issues can quickly get on top of you, and support is on hand to help with any issues you’re having, so please never be afraid to ask. The financial support is always impartial and always delivered in complete confidence. You can get help at Marjon to juggle it all; student finance application support for tuition fees and living costs, advice about the Childcare Grant, Parents’ Learning Allowance and Child Tax Credits, to applying for the University’s Hardship Fund.

3. Do mature students get the same opportunities?

Marjon prides itself on an inclusive community. Everyone studying with us will receive equal opportunities to access, succeed and progress at Maron.

This could be volunteering, joining a club or society, becoming a student representative or ambassador, studying abroad or working at Camp America.

4. What can I do to get involved?

As we are a small community, students find it easier to get involved on a more regular basis. Whether it be a social event, study skill group or day on the quad, there is always something to get involved with. We recommended within your first few weeks you get involved with as many activities and opportunities as possible, to get used to it before workloads increase.


Do you have children? Work-life balance can be hard, so if you think there is an event which you would like to experience as a family then do bring them along!

5. How do I apply?

Undergraduate degrees - if you’re applying for a full-time course, you must apply through UCAS but, if you wish to study part-time then you can apply direct to Marjon.


Postgraduate degrees - for Masters, PG Diploma, EYITT and PG certificate applicants, you can apply direct to Marjon and for PG teacher training including PGCE and School Direct, you'll need to apply through UCAS.